The scenic Stockholm Ultra course

100 km

75 km

50 km

The Stockholm Ultra Marathon offers a scenic course along the island of Djurgården, situated in the center of the Swedish capital. The 8,054.5 meters lap has a difference of 13 meters between the highest and lowest point.

Roughly half of the course (52%) is run on asphalt, the remaining 48% on a gravel road. Large segments of the course follows the waters of Stockholm. The city is surrounded by an archipelago of 24,000 islands.

The race starts close to the Maritime Museum (Sjöhistoriska Museet), on the street Djurgårdsbrunnsvägen, a short bus ride (number 69) from the Stockholm Central Station. The first section brings the runners next to the Kaknäs Tower, Stockholm’s tallest building (155 meters).

A short and easy incline past the football grounds of first league team Djurgården, formerly the site of the shooting at the 1912 Olympics, leads the runners to the waterfront with a beautiful view of the Stockholm archipelago. This was the Middle Age village Kaknäs, now a small forest in the Royal National City Park with an animal cemetery.

The path leads to the Djurgårdsbrunnskanalen, a canal completed in the early 19th century to separate the island of Djurgården from the mainland. A small bridge brings the runners to the island and next section along the canal, past Rosendal Palace.
The Djurgården island got its name (“The Animal Garden”) in the 16th Century when king John III decided to keep deers, reindeers, and elks to hunt.

The course heads back to the mainland and the esplanade Strandvägen, up to the concert hall Berwaldhallen with the Nobel Park on the right.
Here the runners pass through the exclusive residential area Diplomatstaden, home to a large numbers of embassies and soon the lap is completed as the Maritime Museum turns up on the right hand side. Here is the finish.

• Video – a lap of the course 2014
• Slide show – the course